When the Association was incorporated on April 21, 1908, one of its primary purposes was the creation of a law library that would be accessible to all those individuals fortunate enough to pass the bar. The Library Committee recognized, even then, the need for a complete, non-circulating law library. William Purrington, the first Library Committee Chair, said in his 1913 annual report to the membership that the Library should be “a toolshop for the average working lawyer; not a storehouse for the scholar.”
Taking Mr. Purrington’s words to heart, the New York County Lawyers’ Association Library maintains a collection geared specifically to meet the needs of the practicing bar. The Library’s New York practice collection is one of the finest on the East Coast.
The combination of a service-oriented, professional staff, convenient hours, and a focused collection make the New York County Lawyers’ Library the right choice for the practicing attorney.
Because we live in an information age, information professionals and libraries are even more critical today than ever before. For this reason, the NYCLA Library has installed state-of-the art computers and additional ports in its premises. The Library, as well as the entire building, has wireless accessibility.
The Law Library serves NYCLA members, members of the bar, judges, students, librarians and scholars from the U.S. and foreign nations.
Monday – Thursday
9:00AM – 8:00PM
9:00AM – 6:00PM
Saturdays – Closed
2015 Holiday Closings:
· New Year’s Day– Thursday, January 1 & Friday, January 2
· Martin Luther King Jr. Day – Monday, January 19
· Presidents’ Day – Monday, February 16
· Memorial Day – Monday, May 25
· Fourth of July – Friday, July 3
· Labor Day – Monday, September 7
· Columbus Day – Monday, October 12
· Veteran’s Day – Wednesday, November 11
· Thanksgiving – Thursday & Friday, November 26 & 27
· Christmas Eve – Close at 1 p.m. Thursday, December 24
· Christmas Day – Friday, December 25
· New Year’s Eve – Close at 1 p.m. Thursday, December 31
· New Year’s Day – Friday, January 1, 2015
The Library keeps its collection current and regularly procures newly released publications that may be of value to our members’ practice. We welcome any suggestions and recommendations you have that will enhance our collection. The following is a brief list of some of the new acquisitions and updates.